- This event has passed.
Maximizing Independence Work Group
November 17 @ 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
the Chairperson will send Zoom link before the meeting!
- Work Group Reports
- Advocacy discussion, including a review of the October 5th meeting: “Legislative Issues/Systemic Concerns: A Conversation with Senator Deeds, DBHDS and Region Ten“
- Waiver/Policy Updates
- Provider/Agency Updates
- First Responder/Parent Training Update
- Other Updates
- Next Meeting – December 8th (tentative) – TBD
Legislative Issues/Systemic Concerns: A Conversation with Senator Deeds,
DBHDS and Region Ten
What to Expect
- Senator Creigh Deeds, a tireless advocate for mental health issues in Virginia, wanted to hear from CRAAG families to learn about the needs of adults with autism. CRAAG hosted a meeting on October 5th for the Senator. The meeting began with Bob Kreps, CRAAG Chairperson, introducing the issues that most concern CRAAG now. He was followed by Heather Norton, DBHDS Assistant Commissioner. Region Ten’s Lisa Beitz and Heather Hines, Executive Director and Senior Director of Adult Developmental Services respectively, spoke next. The lengthy Q & A discussion offered many opportunities for family members to express their concerns to the invited leaders of DBHDS, Region Ten, Faison Center, and VIA. It was a positive exchange of ideas and suggestions. Senator Deeds was a good listener and very engaged throughout all aspects of the discussion. Senator Deeds’ time was very much appreciated by all.
- At the upcoming October 27th CRAAG meeting, Bob Kreps will present his introductory slides from the Deeds’ meeting. Family members and others who attended the October 5th are welcome to share their observations.
- You won’t want to miss this discussion and Q & A!